CHOICE notable educational identify for 2009
"This ground-breaking source is strongly instructed for all libraries and healthiness and welfare institutional depots; crucial for college collections, specifically these catering to social stories programs."
—Library magazine, STARRED Review
Children and adults spend loads of time in actions we predict of as "play," together with video games, activities, and spare time activities. with out puzzling over it very deeply, virtually everybody might agree that such actions are enjoyable, stress-free, and interesting. besides the fact that, play has many reasons that run a lot deeper than basic leisure. for kids, play has a variety of services corresponding to pageant, following principles, accepting defeat, opting for leaders, workout management, training grownup roles, and taking dangers with the intention to obtain rewards. For adults, many video games and activities function innocuous releases of emotions of aggression, festival, and intergroup hostility.
The Encyclopedia of Play in contemporary Society explores the concept that of play in historical past and glossy society within the usa and across the world. Its scope encompasses rest and leisure actions of youngsters and adults through the a long time, from cube video games within the Roman Empire to games this present day. With greater than 450 entries, those volumes don't comprise insurance activities and game groups yet, in its place, hide the loads of video games performed to not generate profits yet as casual task. All features of play—from studying to pageant, mastery of nature, socialization, and cooperation—are integrated. just enough, this Encyclopedia explores play performed for the joys of it!
- Available in either print and digital formats
- Provides entry to the interesting literature that has explored questions of psychology, studying conception, online game concept, and historical past in depth
- Considers the impacts of play on baby and grownup improvement, quite on future health, creativity, and imagination
- Contains entries that describe either grownup and adolescence play and video games in dozens of cultures world wide and all through history
- Explores the delicate analyses of social thinkers equivalent to Huizinga, Vygotsky, and Sutton-Smith, in addition to the wide range of video games, toys, activities, and entertainments came across round the world
- Presents cultures as assorted because the old center East, smooth Russia, and China and in international locations as faraway as India, Argentina, and France
- Adult Games
- Board and Card Games
- Children's Games
- History of Play
- Outdoor video games and beginner Sports
- Play and Education
- Play round the World
- Psychology of Play
- Sociology of Play
- Toys and Business
- Video and on-line Games
For a topic we commonly contemplate light-hearted, play as a study subject has generated an intensive and complicated literature, exploring various penetrating questions. This two-volume set serves as a normal, nontechnical source for teachers, researchers, and scholars alike. it's a vital addition to any educational library.